Currently Reading(or re-reading as the case maybe)

Anything book related. Your favourite book, author. Let us know.
Lioness

Currently Reading(or re-reading as the case maybe)

Post by Lioness »

What are you currently reading?

I have just finished Natasha Ngan's "Girls of Storm and Shadow", sequel to "Girls of Paper and Fire". It dealt with some heavy topics but in a fantasy setting.

I am now re-reading "The Scottish Prisoner",by Diana Gabaldon, a Lord John Grey (&Jamie Fraser) novel set alongside the main Outlander novels.

Next I have lined up on my TBR is "Sabriel" by Garth Nix, which I've seen many recommendations for.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Re: Currently Reading(or re-reading as the case maybe)

Post by JacobMarley »

Right now I am reading David Copperfield. It is full of colorful characters and delightful turns of phrase. Charles Dickens crafts the English language like no other.

Lioness

Post by Lioness »

I read "Great Expectations", years ago - found the dialect a real challenge to understand. Haven't tried any other of Dickens' works.
Although recently, on listening to "The Hills of Shiloh" (Judy Collins), I found a parallel between Amanda "in her yellowed-wedding gown" and Miss Havisham.

I know bits of Oliver Twist's plot and have seen a favourite author (Mercedes Lackey) accused of plagiarizing whole chunks of the thieves training for one of her novels. Maybe I should try reading Oliver Twist.

Lioness

Post by Lioness »

I have finished "Sabriel"(Garth Nix). it was a very different take on fantasy and necromancy.

I am now re-reading "Lord John and the Private Matter", yet another of Diana Gabaldon's novels.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

I am now reading The Poisonwood Bible, the exquisitely written novel by Barbara Kingsolver. Though it is tragic and contains some hard truths.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

After finishing Poisonwood, I digressed and read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks: good advice on surviving a zombie apocalypse. Now I am reading The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, a book I’ve long been curious about. The language is a bit archaic, having been published in 1719, but I am about a quarter of the way into it, and it seems a good story.