Currently Reading(or re-reading as the case maybe)

Anything book related. Your favourite book, author. Let us know.
Lioness

Currently Reading(or re-reading as the case maybe)

Post by Lioness »

What are you currently reading?

I have just finished Natasha Ngan's "Girls of Storm and Shadow", sequel to "Girls of Paper and Fire". It dealt with some heavy topics but in a fantasy setting.

I am now re-reading "The Scottish Prisoner",by Diana Gabaldon, a Lord John Grey (&Jamie Fraser) novel set alongside the main Outlander novels.

Next I have lined up on my TBR is "Sabriel" by Garth Nix, which I've seen many recommendations for.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Re: Currently Reading(or re-reading as the case maybe)

Post by JacobMarley »

Right now I am reading David Copperfield. It is full of colorful characters and delightful turns of phrase. Charles Dickens crafts the English language like no other.

Lioness

Post by Lioness »

I read "Great Expectations", years ago - found the dialect a real challenge to understand. Haven't tried any other of Dickens' works.
Although recently, on listening to "The Hills of Shiloh" (Judy Collins), I found a parallel between Amanda "in her yellowed-wedding gown" and Miss Havisham.

I know bits of Oliver Twist's plot and have seen a favourite author (Mercedes Lackey) accused of plagiarizing whole chunks of the thieves training for one of her novels. Maybe I should try reading Oliver Twist.

Lioness

Post by Lioness »

I have finished "Sabriel"(Garth Nix). it was a very different take on fantasy and necromancy.

I am now re-reading "Lord John and the Private Matter", yet another of Diana Gabaldon's novels.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

I am now reading The Poisonwood Bible, the exquisitely written novel by Barbara Kingsolver. Though it is tragic and contains some hard truths.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

After finishing Poisonwood, I digressed and read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks: good advice on surviving a zombie apocalypse. Now I am reading The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, a book I’ve long been curious about. The language is a bit archaic, having been published in 1719, but I am about a quarter of the way into it, and it seems a good story.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

I finished Robinson Crusoe. He was a blood thirsty son of a gun, but I guess survival on an island is enough to unhinge anyone.
I’ve moved on to Uncle Tom’s Cabin: or Life Among the Lowly. This was the best selling English language novel of the 19th century, not that it is great literature, but it greatly influenced the attitude toward slavery, and fueled the cause of Abolition.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

I digressed to read The End We Start From, the story of a pregnant woman who flees London as the waters of climate change flood the city. The book is written in sparse, selective language, almost more an extended poem or haiku than prose. A brief journey into a woman’s episodic memory and experience.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

I am about half way through The Book Thief, about a girl who finds meaning in a chaotic world by, well, stealing (and reading) books.