Board Games

Everything about gaming - any and all types! Discuss/debate old and new.
JacobMarley
Site Admin

Board Games

Post by JacobMarley »

I enjoy playing board games, sitting at a table with others, interacting with friends. There are so many! Scrabble, Monopoly, Checkers, you name it. I especially enjoy historical simulations, aka war games. My favorite is Napoleon in Europe, with a big map of that area during that time period, with pieces representing troops, artillery, ships and cavalry of the various nations. Kind of like a form of Risk on steroids. It is hard to win as Napoleon!
Last edited by JacobMarley on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ally

Re: Board Games

Post by Ally »

Oh i love Scrabble! I believe you’d be a formidable opponent J! So well read! You’d make me use these brain cells. I play online scrabble type games all day.

JacobMarley
Site Admin

Post by JacobMarley »

Actually, I’m not that good at Scrabble. Or crossword puzzles. But I am up for a challenge!

Lioness

Post by Lioness »

Ally wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:07 am
Oh i love Scrabble! I believe you’d be a formidable opponent J! So well read! You’d make me use these brain cells. I play online scrabble type games all day.
I love Scrabble, too! I am beaten by better opponents every day in online scrabble type games, but I keep trying!

Lioness

Post by Lioness »

It doesn't use an actual board, but I enjoy BananagramsTM.
144 Letter Tiles are placed face-down.
Each player takes a number of tiles (dependent on number of players). For 2-4 players it's 21 tiles to start with.
Someone says "Split", that is the cue for all players to turn their letters face up and to work on making their own "crossword grid" of words.
If you have used all your starting letters, you say "Peel" and all players take one more tile - need to rearrange the grid to use new letter... keep peeling until there are less tiles left than players. If you get stuck with a letter you aren't able to use, you can announce that you are going to "Dump" - when you dump you put a tile back and pick up 3 new tiles. No-one else picks up when someone "Dump"s.
It is then a race to see who can finish building their grid (using all tiles) first. When finished the player says "bananas", this is when others all get to opportunity to check that all words are spelt correctly and none illegal(like abbreviations or Proper Nouns). If all words are correct they are the "Top Banana".
If any wrong words the rules say this person is a "rotten banana" and that the rotten banana's letters all go back into the pool to be re-used by the remaining players. This doesn't really work with a small number of players - sometimes I play that the rotten banana gets opportunity to correct their grid - and keep competing against the other player/s.

There are many versions of this game available for purchase. I like the set that adds "Wild Tiles" - 6 tiles featuring Monkeys which can be used to represent any letter the player chooses(like the blanks in Scrabble).